Sunday, April 20, 2008

Pacific Steel and Recycling

This weekend Laura and I went to Twin Falls to visit the family. On the way into town we decided to stop by my dad's office and check out the facility. He works for Pacific Steel and Recycling. My dad gave us a tour and let us play around on the equipment. We had a really fun time and it was really interesting. We were suprised at how much junk people had. It was also fun to watch things get crushed, dumped, chopped and moved around.


This is in the steel sales part of the facility. Safety first. Orders are placed, separated, custom cut, bundled together and shipped in this facility.

Welding steel for customers.



Check out all of the cans. 28 cans make a pound. Can you guess how many pounds are in one of those squares of crushed cans? I have no idea. You get 55 cents per pound for recycling cans. It is well worth it...I think.




This was the best part of the day. This all part of the recycling facility. Cars line up down the road to drop off of their junk. This is a huge sorting crane with a magnet that can be turned on and off with a switch.


I think the best part of the tour was watching cars get dropped off, moved around, cut in half with the schears, and then crushed into a square box. The cars then get sold and shipped to a company the melts them down and made into new cars...that we of course rebuy.  Enjoy the pictures.


















2 comments:

g said said...

wait! what happens next?? keep going!! what do you do with the cubed car??

meg said said...

that's like the coolest sequence of pictures I've ever seen!